Thursday, 26 April 2012

Book Review: Dead, Actually by Kaz Delaney

Title: Dead, Actually 
Author: Kaz Delaney
Released: March 2012 
Summary: Willow's having a bad week. A dead body, a funeral and now she's being haunted by the star of it all, the dead queen of Ruth Throsby High herself, JoJo Grayson. Being dead hasn't made JoJo any nicer. She's still venomous and vacuous and, unfortunately, determined to stick around unless Willow finds out what happened. But the mystery keeps multiplying. There's a missing phone. An anonymous blackmailer. Dirty secrets that won't stay buried. And the blame is being cleverly pointed right at Willow. The only good thing? The gorgeous Seth Pentecost. He's got his own agenda but it looks like he's going to help Willow out. Could solving this death be what it takes to finally bring him into her life?


My Review: 
Every now and then a book comes along that I just can't put down. Even though I have to get up early in the morning, and have class, and assignments, and deadlines I just can't stop reading. Dead, Actually was a wish-I-could-put-it-down-but-maybe-I'll-just-read-one-more-page kind of book. 

Set on the Gold Coast of Australia, an area renowned for mansions on the beach and amusement parks, Dead, Actually is a glitzy and glamourous read with a paranormal twist. The story is told from the point of view of Willow, daughter of ex druggie rock-star parents, best friend of social justice teen blogger Macey and lusting after her bestie's older brother, Seth. Despite being born into the lives of the rich and famous Willow is a classified D-lister who finds herself in the midst of A-lister drama when their leader, JoJo, dies in a car accident and takes up residence in Willow's bedroom. 


Willow is a lovable character and not one bit the vapid mean girl that she could be given her circumstances. Her snarky attitude had me chuckling quite a bit though out the novel. One of the blurbs for Dead, Actually describes this novel as 'scathingly funny', and I couldn't agree more. I know I've said it before, and I will say it again. I love a good mystery in my YA fiction. Dead, Actually had it all, a bit of mystery/suspense, a bit of drama, a bit of romance, some laughs and a lot of fun.


I'm a sucker for these Gossip Girl-esque stories, and Dead Actually did not disappoint on that front as it is oozing with backstabbing, bitchiness, and blackmail. Oh and designer clothes of course! This is pure entertainment and a delightfully fun read that is most definitely so not last season! 

2 comments:

  1. I adore those type of books! I'm definitely adding this, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Sarah you have got to stop with the good books already! LOL I had to go check out this author on Goodreads and now I want ALL of her books!! New Follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...