Thursday, 19 April 2012

Book Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter 
Released: April 2011
Summary: It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess. - Goodreads

My Review: 
I didn't really know what to expect going into this book. I knew that there was a lot of love surrounding it when it first came out a while ago because of the amazing cover, but I had no idea what it was about. So lo and behold I found myself reading another Persephone/Hades retelling; the 2nd one for this year (I previously read and reviewed Abandon ; Meg Cabot's take on Persephone/Hades).

The Goddess Test is a retelling of greek mythology with a modern day twist. The relationship between protagonist,  Kate, and her dying mother was one of the most endearing qualities of this book and one of my favourite elements of the story. Kate's actions in the novel are largely driven by her relationship with her mother and her strength in character stems from her perseverance to do right by those she loves. The novel has a dash of mystery and some twists and turns throughout it; some were predictable and others weren't so. The writing in the novel flows in a way that makes for an easy and enjoyable reading experience. Henry, the main love interest and ruler of the Underworld, is a delightfully brooding and aloof character and the relationship between Henry and Kate, although somewhat shallow, progresses nicely throughout the story. Overall this was a lighthearted and fun read, and I look forward to picking up the second novel in this trilogy Goddess Interrupted.


3 comments:

  1. I heard great things and negative things about this book, but I'm still fascinated by the whole concept. It sounds great :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for a while now - the premise sounds really interesting! However, after reading your review for the second book in this series, I think I might wait a while before starting so I have less time to spend waiting dangling on that massive cliffhanger! ;)

    New follower, btw (through Linky) - your blog's really cute <3

    Catherine x
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wish I had waited a bit longer before reading the second one :)
      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...