Friday, 14 September 2012

Book Review: Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday


Title: Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)
Author: Gemma Halliday
Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: April 2012
Summary: Twittercide: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting. Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the "Herbert Hoover High Homepage" would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper's brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went . . . a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the homecoming queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH's resident body finder, I'm stuck trying to prove that Sydney's death wasn't suicide. I'm starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos. . . Goodreads | Amazon   

Social Suicide is the second installment in the Deadly Cool series, however it works perfectly well as a stand alone, so if you haven't read the first novel it won't really impact your reading of this one at all. In Social Suicide Hartley Featherstone inadvertenly finds herself in the middle of a Twittercide and once again is on the case to find a murderer and write a killer article for the Herbert Hoover High online newspaper.

While the believability factor in Social Suicide is zero, if you suspend your hold on reality and enjoy the antics and Hartley's fun narrative voice it's an fairly entertaining read. There's a tiny bit of romance amongst all the investigating, as Hartley and Chase flit around each other in an awkward mating dance. I have high hopes for those two in the future! The mystery/who-dunnit aspect was a bit predictable and I had the killer all worked out fairly early on in the piece (I was really proud of myself on that front because I'm usually the worst at guessing who the killer is!). 

One little niggle I had with the book was that it was too similar to the first novel for me. Once again Hartely just happens to stumble upon a dead body (I mean really, that's just terrible luck, right?). And once again she plans to meet a suspect late at night in deserted place (did you learn nothing from last time!), and yet again she ends up in life threatening danger at the end of the novel. I'm amazed how upbeat Hartley is depsite all this. I would think someone who had gone through all she has would need serious therapy. 


I will still give future books in this series a go in the hopes that Halliday will freshen up the mysteries, and because she has created a really awesome and lovable cast of characters. Hartley's tofu loving Mother who is venturing into the world of online dating for the first time, the potbellied Detective Raley, and Hartley's athletically challenged and love-struck BFF Sam, are all examples of characters that make this series so much fun to read.

Social Suicide is a light and entertaining mystery read that is the perfect escape from reality. While it may not leave you gripping the edge of your seat in anticipation, it is sure to leave a smile on your face and, I dare-say, even a chuckle or two at Hartley's spunky sense of humor. 


Recommended for people who like:contemporary fiction, mysteries, Nancy Drew, Harriet the Spy, escaping reality. 

Have you read this book? 
If so, what are you thoughts on it? 
Are you good at guessing who the Killer is in mysteries? 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am truly happy to read all at
    single place.

    Here is my blog ... samurai siege cheats

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...