Tuesday, 2 July 2013

June Reading Recap

One word to sum up my June. Cold. And lovely (Sorry I just had to sneak another word in there). I've done quite a bit of reading this month, both YA and adult. Aside from reading This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith and Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti I managed to get through a few other,more adult, books this month. I also found myself cracking open my craft supplies and getting out the old knitting needles. I was surprised to find that I still remembered how to knit! Given that it has been over a year since I first learned. My next project is learning how to crochet :) Now if only I could actually finish one of my many started and then abandoned projects..... 



The Princess Bride by William Goldman 
 The Princess Bride movie has become a cult classic and while I don't love it with the same fervor as others, I still like it well enough. This is (probably) one of the only times when I will say that the movie is better than the book. Maybe it was just too clever (or meta) for me.






This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz 
A collection of short stories that exposed me to a whole culture I had never encountered before. It's gritty and vulgar and has a main character who is a not so nice guy. While I never out right hated Yunior I also never really cared much for him, and what was to become of him in the end. The writing however is great.







A fascinating historical fiction/ fairy tale retelling that I highly recommend. This is not the Rapunzel you saw in Tangled. It is better, because it's dark and scary and has elements of mystery and romance and all that good stuff that is not for little eyes or ears. I also love that it taught me so much about French history. Learning new stuff is awesome!




 Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
A book about a bookstore! This book so had my name written all over it. And as an added bonus it's set in San Francisco, one of my favourite cities. I feel like this book had all the elements to make it amazing: musty old bookstore, creepy and mysterious shenanigans, cute google girl, amazing nerdy friends. But it just didn't quite hit the mark. Still an entertaining read that kept me guessing till the end.






Dare You To by Katie McGarry 
 So, although it may not seem like it from this post I do in fact read YA books. Dare You To was the first book by Katie McGarry that I have read. For reasons unknown to me, I wasn't able to bring myself to read Pushing the Limits. After reading Dare You To I'm extremely tempted to go back and give it another shot. It is such an awesome edgy read. And Beth and Ryan... *sigh*. Ah-mazing. 





What have you been reading in June? 
Do you solely read YA or do you like to mix it up a bit?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...